Tier: Travis Hammond
State: Kennewick, Washington
About: "This fly is an experimental part of a strategy to try and catch stubborn mid-summer sunners. Basically, the fly is styled after a rubber legged Hare’s Ear but tied with marabou. The glass bead and foam wing-case make it sink slowly so you can get it in front of suspended or sunning carp for a long time. Give it a small twitching action right under the fish’s nose to induce engulfment."
|Picture of Travis from his trip with Dan.|
Editor's Note: Dan has fished with Travis and claims he is one of the best carp flyfishermen he has ever fished with. Dan also claims Travis has a magic chest pack that, much like a clown car, can produce can of beer after can of beer until you begin to wonder if the laws of physics are being violated.
- Hook: Size 10 or 12 nymph hook
- Bead: Small brown or black glass bead
- Tail: A single forked piece of Olive barred sili legs
- Abdomen: olive marabou feather twisted into a rope and wrapped about half way up the hook shank
- Wing-case: 1/8” diameter olive foam tied in just in front on the abdomen
- Body: Use the remaining marabou from the abdomen and palmer around the hook shank up to the bead
- Legs: olive barred sili legs tied on either side of the body